The primary mission of the Security and Crime Prevention Section is to promote the professional growth and development of its members through service and education to the academic and practical field of security. By providing the necessary resources, organizational programs, workshops and activities, the Section strives to ensure that its members remain on the cutting edge of technology, their discipline, and pedagogical advances.
Membership in the ACJS Section in Security and Crime Prevention brings with it many benefits and privileges. With its diverse membership of educators, specialists in security, researchers, and other criminal justice professionals, the Section is uniquely situated to bring all the various actors to the table to address today's most pressing security and crime prevention issues.
- The Journal of Protection Science, a yearly publication that provides a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach to the field of protection sciences that includes academically-grounded scholarship aimed at advancing the field of protection sciences at both the practical and applied levels. (This is a new journal which is currently in development.)
- An opportunity to participate in a meaningful and prestigious awards program.
- Priority announcements about conferences and innovations in the field of security and crime prevention. Whenever possible efforts are made to obtain registration and course materials offered at reduced rates to Section members.
- Ability to create, join, or contribute to Section discussions on the Internet.
- Access to important practice resources and publications of Section members at member or special discounts.
- An opportunity to provide leadership in the field through participation on committees and special projects. Committees are the lifeblood of the Section. They offer members the best opportunity for direct involvement in Section activities--new Journal, website, awards, etc. Networking through committee participation is an excellent way to exchange information with colleagues regarding the latest developments facing security and crime prevention practice issues.
- The chance to mentor others interested in the fields of security and crime prevention, especially those interested in related careers.
- An Annual Membership Meeting in conjunction with the ACJS annual conference and participation at related events.
- Expansion of your collegial and referral networks.
Members of the Section include some of the top names in the field.
Student membership brings with it the opportunity to become involved with Section activities and to obtain assistance with planning their careers. In addition, plans are being made to provide scholarship opportunities to students.